A digital model of the Earth’s gravity field.
Sorry that I can’t report from any exotic locations this week. I’m in the library at Gnome University Balingen conducting some further study for my paper.
I thought that you would be interested in this great geoid animation created by a European satellite called GOCE (Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer).
Gravity maps like this can be used to understand earthquakes as the tectonic processes can move enough mass to change gravity fields. It can also help oceanographers understand the direction and strength of ocean currents when they compare this geoid to ocean surface readings. Thirdly it can be used by geophysicists to study the Earth’s interior structure.
Gravity differences have been magnified nearly 10,000 times to show up clearly on this model.
Find out more here
More gnome adventures coming soon!
- carolinafrica likes this
- www-outerspacepi reblogged this from kernthegnome
- www-outerspacepi likes this
- izzymar reblogged this from kernthegnome
- theworldfromayoungoldlady reblogged this from kernthegnome
- theworldfromayoungoldlady likes this
- chronologicalimplosion likes this
- reeddactyl likes this
- kernthegnome posted this